23 Aug 2017 Ferado

Ocheni to take charge of budgeting at Labour Ministry

Abuja: The newly appointed Minister of State for Labour and Employment, Professor Stephen Ocheni, has assume office with a clear mandate from the Minister, Senator Chris Ngige, to improve the 2018 budgetary allocation to the ministry.

According to Ngige, the of State will take charge of the 2018 budgeting, because as a professional accountant, he would make it the best.

While receiving Ocheni, the minister charged him to utilise his credibility as a renowned professional accountant to improve on the 2018 budgetary system of the ministry.

Ngige said “I am particularly pleased by the fact that you are an account professional with various degrees in accounting and that will remove the load from me in budgeting. You will take charge of the 2018 budgeting which we are about to start so that our budgeting system will improve.

“I made it better when I came, you can push it to become best. I am optimistic that by God’s grace you will put in your best to uplift this ministry and the Nigeria nation at large.”

He added “it is our pleasure to welcome the new Minister of State into our fold. Ministry of Labour and Employment is one of the oldest ministries in Nigeria, dating back to 1927 as colonial department. It is a challenging ministry that has been manned by prominent Nigerians in the past, your deployment as a Minister of State for Labour and Employment gives credence to your credibility as a renowned academic and astute bureaucrat.”

Responding, Ocheni assured the minister of his commitment to bring his knowledge and experience to bear in the discharge of his responsibilities towards the attainment of the objective of the ministry and the change agenda of President Muhammadu Buhari.

23 Aug 2017 Ferado

Three labourers from Rahim Yar Khan found dead in Balochistan

Quetta: ( PAKISTAN) Three labourers from Rahim Yar Khan were found dead in Balochistan’s Kech district on Sunday, Levies sources told Labour News.

The labourers who were working on a development project in the area had been kidnapped by unidentified miscreants four days ago, the sources said.

The bodies were found with multiple bullet injuries in Kech’s Hoshab area by locals.

The Levies, who were alerted by the locals, reached the spot and shifted the bodies to a hospital.

There was no immediate claim of responsibility for the killing.

22 Aug 2017 Ferado

Turkey proposes free movement of workers with Kazakhstan

TURKEY: Central Asian countries are exploring forms of integration resembling those of the European Union, the latest one being the establishment of free movement of people and workers between Turkey and Kazakhstan.

The Astana Times reported on Thursday (17 August) that Turkish Economy Minister Nihat Zeybekci had proposed during a recent Kazakh-Turkish business forum “a visa-free regime for migrant workers” between the two countries.

Turkey and Kazakhstan already have a visa-free regime, but the proposed step is to remove obstacles for nationals of the two countries seeking employment on each other’s territory.

Zeybekci said both countries have been cooperating for a long time. Turkey has invested about $2 billion in the Kazakhstan economy and this could be increased to $10 billion, he said.

Trade between the two countries is mainly based on natural energy resources but Turkish companies are ready to supply textile products and some food products to Kazakhstan, the minister stressed. However, Kazakhstan and Turkey first need to review their trade agreement and remove some barriers, such as for the free movement of workers, he said.

High level visit

Zeybekci announced 9-10 September as the date of the official visit to Kazakhstan of Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan. It has also been reported that the Turkish president intends to take part in the upcoming Organisation for Islamic Cooperation Summit on Science and Technology as part of his visit to Astana.

Since the dissolution of the Soviet Union in 1991, Turkey has been trying to implement comprehensive policies on the newly independent so-called ‘Turkic’ states of Azerbaijan, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Turkmenistan and Uzbekistan.

Regional cooperation

According to researcher Özge Nur Öğütcü from the Center for Eurasian Studies, Turkey has invested a lot in regional cooperation involving the Turkic states. The 1990s and early 2000s saw the emergence of new regional organisations such the Conference on Interaction and Confidence Building Measures in Asia (CICA), which was first proposed by Kazakhstan President Nursultan Nazarbayev, and the Economic Cooperation Organization (ECO).

Turkey’s initiative to include Turkic states in the ECO as one of the founding members and its participation in the CICA and SCO enabled Turkey to observe agendas of regional actors and engage with Turkic states under the umbrella of regional formations, Öğütcü wrote.

Other important institutions are the International Organization of Turkic Culture (TURKSOY) established in 1993, the Parliamentary Assembly of Turkic-Speaking Countries (TURKPA), set up in 2008, the International Turkic Academy established in 2010, the Turkic Culture and Heritage Foundation formed in 2012, and the Turkic Business Council, whose founding document was signed in 2011.

Today, Turkic states host Turkish universities such as Kyrgyz-Turkish Manas University in Kyrgyzstan and Akhmet Yassawi University in Kazakhstan. The Yunus Emre Institutes for Turkish language education in Astana and Baku have been providing learning opportunities to young people.

Askar Turganbayev, a representative of Kazakhstan’s Ministry of Culture and Sport at the International Organization of Turkic Culture (TURKSOY), said the Kazakh president is one of the most ardent supporters of the TURKSOY.

“Many initiatives of President Nazarbayev are related to the development of this organization,” Turganbayev said.

22 Aug 2017 Ferado

Rights Activist Flees Kazakhstan Over Safety Fears

KAZAKHSTAN: A prominent Kazakh rights activist who heads a group that advocates for the rights and safety of journalists says he has fled the country because he fears for his life.

Ramazan Esergepov, president of the Almaty-based NGO Journalists In Trouble, told RFE/RL by phone on August 4 that he is in Paris. He said he arrived there on August 3.

Esergepov told RFE/RL that he decided to leave Kazakhstan after he was stabbed by unknown attackers in May and other developments led him to conclude that he might be jailed.

On August 1, police in Almaty detained and questioned Esergepov, accusing him of organizing of an unsanctioned rally in Almaty on July 29 to support political prisoners.

Esergepov became president of Journalists In Trouble in 2012.

He previously spent three years in prison after being convicted of revealing classified information in articles about alleged links between a Kazakh businessman and the National Security Committee.

At least five activists and journalists have fled Kazakhstan for Ukraine in recent years.

Zhanar Akhmet, a blogger who criticized President Nursultan Nazarbaev’s government, fled in March amid mounting pressure and politically charged criminal investigations.

Nazarbaev, who has held power in the Central Asian nation since before the 1991 Soviet breakup, tolerates little dissent.

22 Aug 2017 Ferado

Free port Indonesia copper mine access to resume after clashes

TIMIKA, Indonesia – Limited access to the giant Grasberg copper mine in eastern Indonesia is expected to resume on Monday, its operator said, after hundreds of former workers blockaded the site and clashed with police.

Trouble erupted at the mine, which is operated by the Indonesian unit of Freeport McMoRan Inc, during a demonstration over employment terms on Saturday afternoon.

Three former workers were injured after police fired tear gas and warning shots to disperse the blockade, according to a union official representing the ex-workers.

Freeport said at least four contractors were also injured.

Buildings, vehicles and motorbikes belonging to the company and its employees were also torched in the incident in the province of Papua, Freeport said, and access to the world’s second-largest copper mine was restricted due to safety concerns.

Freeport Indonesia spokesman Riza Pratama praised local authorities on Sunday for “restoring security control” but also continued to advise workers to avoid traveling to the area.

“The Main Supply Route also has been cleared, and bus and cargo convoys will resume on a limited basis Monday,” Pratama said in an emailed statement.